Tuesday 17 April 2012

My plans for 2012 :)

This year is my last year at university and I will (hopefully) end up at the end of the summer a qualified mental health nurse! There are several places I would love to visit before being tied down in a full time job, and I thought I would share them with you.

Morocco

My mum bought my boyfriend and I a 3 night trip to Dartassa, Morocco, and we are going in June. I am looking forward to it, I have been to Marrakech before and althought it was a bit of a culture shock I really did end up enjoying myself.
A donkey we saw in Morocco chained to the spot, at the dye pits



Gambia

My Grandad goes to Gambia, Africa, almost every year as he helps to support a village there. On his last trip he paid for a new water well to be dug so that the villagers did not have to commute miles in the hot sun for water. He is going again in November and wants me to accompany him, which I would love to do! The flights are around £400 and the accomodation is a mere £100 per week, so I am definitely tempted to go with him if I can gather the funds together!

New Zealand

My Dad lives in Christchurch, New Zealand, and I would love to go and visit him a second time. I went last April for 3 weeks and loved it! It really is a beautiful country and my Dad treated me to a trip to Queenstown, which has the most gorgeous scenery I have ever seen! Here is a photo of me in Queenstown:

And finally an international elective nursing placement, destination undecided


I am seriously considering going on an international nursing placement at the end of my course. I think I would go for 2-3 weeks and the destinations I have been reading about are Tanzania, Ghana, Sri Lanka or Nepal. Prices range from about £1000 for 3 weeks, which does not include flights, so I would have to save up a lot of money, but I really think it would be an amazing experience. They offer hospital placements and allow you free time to explore and go on safaris! They have special safe houses where everyone on the placement stays and offer free local language lessons. I have always wanted to do something like this but money has hindered me, as they are expensive. This is something I need to research a bit more and decide if I can afford!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos for choosing to work in the mental health field! I've always been interested in mental health, especially because my grandmother had schizophrenia (unfortunately, she passed away before I was born and I never had the chance to meet her). I'm sure it's a difficult but rewarding career and I wish you tons of luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete